How you can help your child with reading
The benefits of reading start with the first book a baby hears and continue into childhood and throughout the child's life. As a parent, you have the power to boost your children's learning potential simply by making books an integral part of their lives. Books have the power to benefit toddlers and preschoolers in a myriad of ways. As a parent, reading to your child is one of the most important things you can do to prepare him with a foundation for academic excellence.
How you can help your child with READING
- Let your child see you reading. Keep a lot of books around at home.
- Find relevant reading and word games online.
- Teach children to use a dictionary and to look up new words they read or hear.
- Read together with your child(ren)
- Read to your children.
- Listen to your child read.
- Have your child tell you a story. Have them recount an experience or make up a story.
- Read the book and discuss it before watching it as a movie.
- Set up attractive reading nooks at home.
- Enroll in a library and look for books to read together.
- Encourage your child to write - letters, notes, stories, journals or anything. Remember literacy involves reading and writing.
- Follow up books with an interesting activity related to the book - it can be drawing or with any art and craft activity or an engaging game.
- Ask questions about the book your child is reading. Make the questions make him/her think like what was the storyline, which character they liked most and why, What would they have done, if they were a particular character, etc.
- Make reading a part of your daily life, and kids will learn to love it.
The point is to make reading a regular enjoyable part of your family routine.
Last modified on Thursday, 09 July 2020 14:26
Latest from Rabbit Hole Bookstore
- Holiday Activity – Interview a Grandparent and Write a Biography
- Fun Facts for New Year’s: Wear Red Underwear and Eat Black-Eyed Peas!
- Simple and Practical ways to help your children make and keep New Year Resolutions
- 6 Ways to Enjoy the Holidays with your Children – Fun Activities for Parents and Kids
- 5 Brilliant Activities to Get Kids Thrilled about the Solar Eclipse
Leave a comment
Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.